Monday, May 22, 2006

Hyde the Hamster


Not a game Richard Gere plays, contrary to popular belief...

This was the character I originally designed for the sequel to Frankenstein's Cat, as mentioned in a previous post. As it happened we incorporated Hyde into the animated series proposal, and he's changed a bit along the way. As one of the other "Frankenpets", Hyde's special ability (as if ANY of them are remotely special) is that he's a lycanthropic werehamster, able to turn into a hairy rampaging monster at the drop of a hat. This, by the way, was created long ago, before the Wererabbit hit the screens by a long shot.

As it happened, we decided to make the other Frankenpets all girls, so giving Nine a real outsider's point of view- he didn't fit in remotely. This combined with his friend Lottie's unfotunate predicament of being the only girl in the village left the two of them as a real buddy-buddy act that is the at the core of the show. So Hyde became Heidi. Not too difficult a jump methinks.

Plus I love the design of Heidi, she's a real toerag bruiser who looks like she'd bite your ankles in a fight as a first resort!

14 comments:

paulhd said...

nice hamster.... in a purely platonic way of course.
BTW unpacked a pile of 'My Daddy' books at work today, I'll make sure they go on the counter somewhere!

dragonhead said...

Awwwww.. I want to take him home! Thanks for another WIP like thing. :)

"My Daddy." If I created a book series like that they would end up being extreemly sick and twisted. Well, they would start off all nice and sweet, then by the third page you would be saying "Hey, that's not right. Is it?" and by the fifth page you would be saying "OH my gosh! That's horrible!" You would probably end up throwing up by the tenth page if you get that far.
Hm... Hm... Yey! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jo Bling said...

Paul, is it the miniature hardback you've got in? They've brought out a smaller HB version in time for Father's Day, those cunning folk @ Harper Collins. Are you working in a bookstore then? I'm appearing at Borders Warrington the Saturday before Father's Day to promote that very book (and am appearing at Borders Leeds Birstall next Sunday to promote Cheeky Monkey!)

dragonhead said...

ooooo! OOOOO! Jobling buy me a ticket please, I want to go. :)

paulhd said...

Yeah, it's the sweet little HB. Been bookselling forever it seems, I'm in the lofty heights and low pay of management - although I still get to unpack boxes!

Jo Bling said...

Talking to publisher about a possible follow up to MY DADDY at present (NOT, I might add, the rather too obvious MY MUMMY, although might be too soon to completely rule that out ;-) )

dragonhead said...

"(NOT, I might add, the rather too obvious MY MUMMY, although might be too soon to completely rule that out ;-) )"

Are you trying to hint at something? :)

I. N. J. Culbard said...

Not called "My daddy's the milkman" by any chance is it? A small group of kids guessing their parentage?

Andrew Glazebrook said...

He may look cute but he's a brute !!!

dragonhead said...

"A small group of kids guessing their parentage?"

Mommy, who is that strange man that brings us presents every weekend?

Jo Bling said...

I'm all up for a sequel but, straw poll, isn't MY MUMMY simply TOO obvious?

I'd depart from the artwork in the original and move towards the design look of the film instead.

Talk of My Daddy's The Milkman sends me back to the class episode of Father Ted, SPEED 3, where all the babies on Craggy Island have ginger moustaches!

I. N. J. Culbard said...

My Mummy's not as obvious as Jaws 3D.

My mummy, but set in the Victorian era. How un-obvious is that? Or better yet, My mummy, but set in ancient egypt!

;-)

I know, how about "My Estranged Uncle"?

Jo Bling said...

"My Estranged Uncle Ian"- told from my son's POV! :-D

Hey, what's this I hear on the news about Nottingham being the nation's crime capital? You been selling more DVD's of The DaVinci Code on Arnold Market???

I. N. J. Culbard said...

""My Estranged Uncle Ian"- told from my son's POV! "

Hey, is it my fault your son doesn't drink bourbon? How the hell did I know he meant borbon as in the biscuit?!?!? Hey, if you hadn't put that restraining order on me, then maybe I'd see him more often... but as it is...